Dancing in the liBreadLine
So, here I was working on a program to assist with writing these very blog posts, minding my own business… I was pondering how to make a config file for my program, and after mucking about with FILE pointers for a while, I wondered why I was doing this the hard way. Why don’t I just use a lua config file?
Unfortunately, Ubuntu apparently has a version of Lua in its repository that was tainted by Debian. The binary works fine, but the source has a bunch of random Debian headers in it. Instead of trying to figure out where
lua5.2-deb-multiarch.h is, I decided I should just build the official Lua from lua.org. After downloading and unravelling the tarball, I executed my sudo make linux and got this:
lua.c:67:31: fatal error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
After cursing myself for not writing down how I fixed this earlier, I turned to Google. Google tells me that I need to have the package
libreadline-dev to build Lua. Luckily this is easily obtained. In Ubuntu you can just:
sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev